Budget Travel's blog This Just In (a great site, by the way) reports this interesting news: a Tripadvisor survey found that 44% of families traveled with the grandparents at least once in the past 12 months. Unfortunately, our family is part of the other 56%. I say unfortunately because I started dreaming about what it would be like to bring the grandparents along on your travels:
- No more listening to "CanIHaveThat?CanIHaveThat?CanIHaveThat?" because Grandma or Grandpa will have purchased whatever the must-have item is before the first "Can" leaves your child's mouth.
- Four more hands to help you navigate the airport security juggling act!
- At worst, somebody to make the occasional silly face or lend an extra hand to get through the flight easier. At best, a full in-flight babysitter who entertains your child several rows away from you while you kick back in the exit row and reacquaint yourself with a drink requiring one of those tiny airplane liquor bottles.
- Speaking of babysitter, the possibility of getting to try the hot, new, and very kid-unfriendly restaurant in the city you're visiting.
- Two extra people to take shifts riding the always-enthralling hotel elevator.
- Someone who will be happy to entertain your child when he wakes up two hours earlier than usual and is rarin' to go.
- Last, but not least, you'll have an official photographer so your vacation photos will actually contain both parents at the same time!
Okay, unless your last name is Cleaver, you probably won't find grandparents willing to undertake all of those tasks on a trip. But as 44% of people will tell you, having somebody help with any one of them makes for an awfully nice trip!